tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 14 12:56:01 1998

Re: Comparatives and Superlatives

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998 09:25:28 -0800 (PST) Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ja' Edy:

> >But if I want to say: "The commander is less bold than the officer". ?
> >ja' jaq puS yaS jaq law'  ????  Can I exchange the order of terms?
>
> Probably not.  We've never seen it reversed.  KGT gives us some
> alternate word pairs to use in place of {law'} and {puS}, but in
> each case the "positive" word comes first.
>
> If you want to say "the commander is less bold than the officer,"
> you'll have to say intead "the officer is bolder than the commander."

The alternative would be to say:

la' jaqHa' law' yaS jaqHa' puS.

The word order and grammar is not negotiable, but you can change
the Quality verbs in any way consistent with verbs used
adjectivally. We know that you can use {-Ha'}, though you can't
use most other verb suffixes.
> -- ghunchu'wI'

charghwI'

Back to archive top level