tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 15 18:01:27 1998

Re: Comparatives and Superlatives

[regarding {law'/puS}]

ja' charghwI':
>The word order and grammar is not negotiable, but you can change
>the Quality verbs in any way consistent with verbs used
>adjectivally. We know that you can use {-Ha'}, though you can't
>use most other verb suffixes.

Hmm?  We know we can use {-qu'}; that's given by TKD page 50.  We're pretty
sure we can use {-be'}, since {lI'be'} shows up adjectivally on one of the
audiotapes.  We *assume* we can use {-Ha'} by analogy and by the fact that
things like {QuchHa'} and {yepHa'} appear in the dictionary.  Or is there
something I've forgotten that gives us explicit confirmation that {-Ha'} is
okay on an adjectival verb?

Another conjecture is given here as if it were an established fact, too.
Do we actually know we can use anything other than bare verb stems in the
Q(uality) slot of a {law'/puS} construction?

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level