tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 13 15:07:02 1998

Re: Comparatives and Superlatives

ghItlh ghunchu'wI'
>We've never seen it reversed.  KGT gives us some
>alternate word pairs to use in place of {law'} and {puS}, but in
>each case the "positive" word comes first.

We have, actually.  KGT page 179-180:

"To say 'The Klingon is braver than the Ferengi,' one would have to say
{tlhIngan yoH law' verengan yoH ngeD.}  Reversing the order of {Qatlh} and
{ngeD} would produce the phrase which, if interpretable at all, would mean
'The Klingon is less brave than the Ferengi.'  Even if one really meant it,
uttering such a phrase could lead to unfortunate consequences."

This seems to suggest that although a puS/law' formation would be extremely
slangy and probably ungrammatical, a Klingon might actually understand it,
and not regard it as grammatical gibberish in favor of this alien's
language.
Qapla'
qoror

Back to archive top level