tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 14 09:40:39 1998

Re: qoS le'qu'

ja' SuSvaj:
>>>..."Rat" ghaH, 'ej DaHjaj wa' ben ghaH.
>>
>>"Rat" 'oH je "Ben"'e'. :-)
>
>I think my usage of [ben] is correct here.  If not, please explain why.

{ben} can be translated "years old" in a phrase like {cha'vatlh ben HIq}
"two hundred year old liquor."  It's more literally "liquor of two hundred
years ago."  I suppose you could say {DaHjaj wa' ben "Rat" ghaH} "he is a
one year old rat today," but the usual phrasing is {wa' ben bogh} "he was
born one year ago."

Well, actually the usual phrasing is {wa' ben boghpu'}, but since you're
talking about it *on* his birthday, leaving off the {-pu'} is accurate.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level