tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 14 07:54:27 1998

Re: -bogh (again) as stative

ja' SuStel:
>>We visit the factory which director is my friend.
>
>Ugh.  Don't.  This sentence isn't correct in English...

lughbe' 'e' DaSovbej'a'?  pab ngo' lo' 'e' vIQub.
motlhbe' 'ej qubbej 'ach mujbe'law'.

>laSvargh jupwI' ghaHbogh pIn'e' wISuch.

Qap'a' mu'tlheghvam?  ghobe'.  nuv ngu'.  laSvargh ngu' neH Edy.

"We visit the boss who is my friend of the factory."

Edy wants to specify which factory he visits.  SuStel's sentence is
qualifying the boss, not the factory, even assuming anyone would be
able to understand it without the parentheses.  It's hard for me to
read it well, but I think this phrase is also trying to use {-bogh}
as a nonrestrictive relative clause, and I'm not sure that works.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level