tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 13 08:36:28 1998

Re: -bogh (again) as stative

ja' Edy:
>I would like to point out the type 9 verbal suffix again.
>How we join these 2 english phrases in klingon.
>
>1. We visit the factory - laSvargh wISuch
>2. The director of the factory is my friend - jupwI' ghaH laSvargh pIn tIn'e'
>
>We visit the factory which director is my friend.
>
>I tried to build it but I didn't get it.  :-(

In general, you should leave this as two sentences.  Klingon doesn't
let you use relative clauses as widely as many other languages do, and
the "possessor" noun of a noun-noun phrase won't work as the head noun
of a relative clause the way you want it to.

However, in this specific case, you can recast the second sentence to
remove the pronoun-as-verb and come up with a relative clause that
*will* work the way you want it to.

{laSvargh che' jupwI'} "My friend runs the factory" or
{laSvargh loH jupwI'} "My friend administers the factory."

{laSvargh'e' loHbogh jupwI' wISuch}
"We visit the factory which my friend administers."

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level