tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 13 07:16:30 1998

Re: -bogh (again) as stative

From: Eduardo Fonseca <[email protected]>

>I would like to point out the type 9 verbal suffix again.
>How we join these 2 english phrases in klingon.
>
>1. We visit the factory - laSvargh wISuch
>2. The director of the factory is my friend - jupwI' ghaH laSvargh pIn
tIn'e'

>We visit the factory which director is my friend.

Ugh.  Don't.  This sentence isn't correct in English.  The best English
sentence would be

We visit the factory whose director is my friend.

In Klingon I'd just say

laSvargh wISuch.  jupwI' ghaH pIn'e'.

SuStel
Stardate 98120.8

P.S.: Okay, I'll admit it, there IS a way to do this, but it would almost
certainly be misunderstood by a Klingon speaker.

laSvargh jupwI' ghaHbogh pIn'e' wISuch.

Putting it in parenthesis to clarify:

laSvargh (jupwI' ghaHbogh pIn'e') wISuch.

The relative clause acts as the second noun in the Noun-Noun construction.
REPEAT: DON'T ACTUALLY USE THIS SENTENCE.  YOU WILL BE MISUNDERSTOOD.

Back to archive top level