tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 13 15:25:25 1998

Re: {'evnagh} (was Re: KLBC: logh veQ)

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998 05:45:27 -0800 (PST) David Trimboli
<[email protected]> wrote:

charghwI':
> >*Relativity* Dayajbe'bej.

SuStel:
> *Relativity* le' vIyajbej jIH.  vIHaDchu'pu'.

charghwI':
maj. maja'chuq 'e' vItIv.

> >No. Motion is what connects space and time. Using the speed of
> >light as an arbitrary constant, you can measure distance in
> >terms of time and you can measure time in terms of distance.
> >Without motion, you cannot connect the math that measures
> >location with the math that measures duration.
>
> Sure you can.  Just plug in V=0 and you get t=t'  (in other words, if two
> objects share the same frame of reference, Newtonian mechanics works
> exactly.

latlh jatlhwI' Dajanglaw'. choyajHa'law'. vIHbe'chugh Hoch vaj
chuq Da'ablaH 'ej poH DajuvlaH, 'ej 'ujmey bIHtaH 'ej qaStaH
poH, ach Daq mI'mey Hotbe' poH mI'mey. mI'meyvam DuDbe'lu'. Do'
Do ghaj Hoch. The link between the math of distance and that of
time is motion.

You excellently solved a problem I didn't offer and ignored the
one I did. I said that without motion, you cannot connect the
math that measures location with the math that measures
duration. If V=0, you can measure location and duration, but the
two measurments are discrete. There is no mixing one with the
other. Time happens. Distance happens. They do not interact.
When you have motion, time and distance affect each other.

> >We can digitalize all our measurements, but the universe will
> >remain analog, contiguous and moving.
>
> This statement is dubious in the realm of physics.  There is quite a bit of
> evidence to support the idea that there is a minimum unit of space, and a
> minimum unit of time.

Just like there was evidence that the atom was the smallest unit
of matter... until there was the electron, proton and neutron,
which immediately became the smallest unit of matter... until
there was the quark, etc. Hoch wIleghlaH pIj 'e' wIHar.
wIleghlaHbe'chugh vaj tu'be'lu' 'e' wIHar. vay' chu' wIleghDI'
ngoDmeyqoqmaj wIchoH.

> >The world is not made by smearing together discrete instants.
> >There are no discrete instants. There is only motion.
>
> Of course, quantum mechanics paints a very different picture.

And, of course, quantum mechanics have been proven to be right,
just like the Big Bang...

Sometimes I wish I could be around 2,000 years from now to see
the Big Bang Theory in the same Theory Museum Exhibit next to
Flat Earth.

> I think I'll just leave it at these useless and smug hints.

Quplu'DI' DIchqoq Daghajqu'.

> This really
> doesn't belong on the list.

SoH Dumevbe'ba' ngoDvam.

> I could derive Special Relativity in private
> e-mail for anyone who's interested.  All it takes is some algebra and two
> very believable assumptions about the universe.

*Einstein* paq'a' mach lulaDchugh qaq ghu'. He explains things
quite well, Lorenzian Transformations and all.

> No calculus (well, not for
> the basic stuff).  I just hope my ASCII art is up to the challenge of
> drawing diagrams.

Doj.

> SuStel
> Stardate 98113.3