tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 13 08:28:04 1998

Re: definitive noun suffix -na'

ja' Edy:
>    Let's see the CK following exemple:
>"- I need to find A doctor"    "Qel vISamnIS".
>
>In this exemple, I want to find any sort of doctor because there
>is nothing especifing what doctor I need. But if I want to
>say: I need to find THE doctor, I need to find an especific doctor.
>In this case I can say:  "Qelna' vISamnIS"

No.  The type 3 noun suffixes qualify the accuracy of the word being
used.  {Qelna'} is a definite doctor, no doubt about it.  It's the
opposite idea of {QelHey}, an apparent doctor, maybe, maybe not.
{Qelqoq} goes a bit further, a so-called doctor, not even worthy of
being called a doctor except perhaps sarcastically.

You appear to be confusing the notions of "definite" meaning certainty
and the grammatical concept of a "definite article" such as "the".  In
Klingon, there are no articles; there are no words to translate the
"a" and "the" ideas.  Each of {Qel}, {Qelna'}, {QelHey}, and {Qelqoq}
can be used in a phrase to mean either "a doctor" or "the doctor",
depending on whether or not context indicates that you're referring to
one specific person.

If you've already established the existence of a specific doctor, you
can say {Qelvetlh vISamnIS} "I must locate that doctor."  The type 4
suffixes can serve a purpose similar to a definite article.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level