tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 13 07:16:14 1998

Re: KBLC [K'ryntes]

From: Robyn Stewart <[email protected]>

>SuStel asked:
>>>ghaHvaD qoH pong Hoch
>>>
>>>This probably has the same ambiguity as the English "Call me a
>>>cab!" ("Ok, lady, you're a cab.")
>>
>>Huh? How is this ambiguous in Klingon? "He" is getting the name of
>>"fool."
>
>ghaHvaD qoH pong Hoch *could* mean that everyone named a fool in some
>way that made him the beneficiary of the action, other than being the
>namee.

It IS possible, but I really doubt that such a problem would come about very
often.  And any time such a meaning was intended, there would have to be
plenty of context to back it up.

The vagueness in the "Call me a cab" above comes about because "call" could
mean "name" or "communicate remotely with and cause to arrive," and because
either non-verb could be a legitamate object.  Kingon
{pong} means only "name."  Problems like this also occur with verbs like
{jatlh}, but it simply isn't anything one should worry about.

Virtually all the time, {SoHvaD jIjatlh} will mean "I speak to you," and not
"I speak for you."  I don't even know if the latter would be deemed proper.
It works according to the rules, but does not appear in canon.

SuStel
Stardate 98120.7

Back to archive top level