tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 12 06:00:29 1998

Re: poH'a'

From: Qov <[email protected]>

>{poH'a'} refers to not so much a large period of ordinary time, but
>something greater than time.  Simply "a lot of time" would be {poH tIn}.
>Someone is going to follow up and insist that this should be {poH law'} but
>{poH} is a "period of time" and it's not a lot of them, but one big one
that
>your efforts demand.  So I think I'm right.

You're right about the follow-up but wrong about the response.  I don't
agree with {poH tIn} or {poH law'}.  {poH law'} is "many periods of time."
That's no good.

{tIn} means "big," but not "lengthy (time)."  {tIn} refers to physical size.
That's {nI'}.  The correct translation of "a lot of time" is {poH nI'}.

I also have little problem with {poH'a'}, in fact.  It's possible it refers
to a more grandiose or better period of time than {poH}, or it could mean a
longer period of time.  I don't think it means what you say, "something
greater than time."  A Golden Age, for instance, might be referred to as
{poH'a'}.

SuStel
Stardate 98115.2

Back to archive top level