tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 09 13:47:59 1998

Re: KLBC Poetry (the child is happy)

According to David Trimboli:

We also have {ja'chuq} as a listing in the word list and it has
been stated that it was not among the special words like
{lo'laH} which have become whole words independent of their
root-affix origins. Clearly, even in third person, the object
is a person. I'm relatively certain that in PK's jokes {ja'} is
used with the person addressed as the object.

> We know Okrand translated all of the Klingon
> lines in Star Trek III, though we haven't seen all of those translated
> lines.  I'm very curious as to how he translated Kruge's line, "Report
> status!"  It might very well be {Dotlh yIja'} or even {Dotlh ja'}.  However,
> this is just speculation.
>
> As for {jang}, it *seems* to be used like {jatlh} in its only appearances:
> {jang 'avwI'} (Power Klingon, a couple of times in the jokes).  But because
> of the nature of the sentence, we don't *know* what's happening here.  This
> sentence might very well translate more correctly as "The guard answers
> him."  We just don't know.

That null prefix has stood in the way of clarifying things like
this in more than one setting.

> At this point, the safest course of action is to treat it exactly like
> {jatlh} when using the indirect object prefix trick.  {mujang} is certainly
> "he answers me," whatever the actual object of the verb is.  This avoidance
> allows us to deal with 1st and 2nd person objects easily, but any further
> attempts to use this will result in questionable sentences.  Break it into
> two sentences: {ghel Edy, jang Qov}.
>
> But suppose the object of {jang} is the question, as you suggest.  We don't
> have a noun for "question."  So what Klingon word is a valid object for
> {jang}?

chomonmoH.

> SuStel
> Stardate 98109.1