tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 09 06:38:29 1998

Re: introduction

According to Albert Arendsen:

> >It is not the "g" that I'm concerned about. It is that you use
> >the same letter "r" in two different types of places here. In
> >one place, it is related to the {gh} sound. In the other place
> >it is related to the {r} sound. If your {r} is somehow involved
> >in your {gh}, then at least one of these two sounds is being
> >badly mispronounced. The Klingon {r} happens at the tip of the
> >tongue, not the back.
>

> no no no.... you have to understand the pronounciation of Dutch to
> understand this one. the Dutch {r} can be pronounced in two
> ways:...

Then I suggest that in a discussion of pronunciation, it is a
very bad choice to spell something "grargr" if the middle "r"
is supposed to be pronounced differently than the other two
"r"s. You need some sort of notation to show which sound is in
effect at each point in the word.
> >I know that if your {r} sounds like your {gh}, I won't be able
> >to understand you in Klingon.
>

> again those two different pronounciations of the Dutch {r}... one letter,
> two different pronounciations, and both pronounciations mean exactly the
> same.

Again, you need to find a way to notate these two different
sounds as they occur. Otherwise, it is as if we were discussing
color and I told you that in my country, the word for "white"
is "black" so we pronounce "black, white, black" as "black,
black, black" and it is YOUR job to figure out which color I'm
talking about when I say, "black".

> >> But from this "wrong" "r", it isn't difficult to go to a "gh" at all.
> >
> >Which suggests that you need to work on your {r}...
>
> nope. YOU should work on understanding what we've been writing about. it's
> been about two different pronounciations of the {r} all along, and all along
> it has been said that both of those are used in/by Dutch according to their
> own discression.

Black, black, black.

> >charghwI'
> >
> Chakotay