tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 05 00:22:28 1998

Re: KLBC: HIqeqmoH, pabpo'!

At 14:19 98-02-02 -0800, Marc Ruelander wrote:
}
}> }so you consider {qeq} to be intransitive? bc the bouncing of the
}> }original subject to an "other" noun with {-vaD} is not in TKD, is it?
}>
}> Look at {HIQoymoH}, on p.38 of my fuzzy blue TKD.
}>
}jIHvo' *TKD*lIj vIleghlaHbe'... :->

bIvIt. :)

}'ach *TKD*wIjDaq mu'tlheghvetlh vItu' je.
}
}( << *TKD*wIjDaq je >> vIghItlhlaHbe', qar'a'?)

DaghItlhlaH 'ach Data'chugh qaqun. :)

}> I would have appended {chaH} there.  "They are Elwood and Jake."
}>
}jIyaj. <<chuvmey-wot>> vIlo' vIneHbe'.
}
}(I wanted to avoid the "to be" construction...
}I guess "leftover-verb" is not the finest among
}compound nouns, but what's a good way to say it?)

I think I've been over-ranting.  Ther is nothing wrong with the
pronoun-as-to-be construction per se.  It simply gets misused by people
trying to use it for something it shouldn't be used for.  Adding it to that
sentence turned a sentence fragment into a sentence.

}> }yajHa'ghachHommo' ngaqbogh muchwI'pu' chIl.
}> }   Due to some minor misunderstandings they lost their
}> }   supporting musicians ("the band")
}>
}> {ngaq} is a noun.  You also left out "their."
}>
}double-oops... jIHvaD mu'tlheghvam ghItlhmoH veqlargh.
}
}.. QaHbogh muchwI'pu'chaj ...
}
}(is there really no better word than "help" for this
}or am I just blind?)

QaH is the word for help.  Consider also {boQ}, {tlhej}, {qat} (as used in
KGT), {tay'} and {latlh}.

}> muchvetlh vIghovbe'
}toH. jIDelHa''a' qoj Dabejbe'?
}(and I definitely mean {qoj} not {pagh} :)

not vIbejpu'.  'ach a' tlhegh vISovlaw'.

DaH Hurgh ram, nIn law' wIghaj 'ej mInDu' QanwI' Hurgh DItuQ.  mavangrupbej!

qar'a'?

}"The Blues Brothers" vIDel 'e' vInID.

}> HollIj Dalo'ba'.
}not sure what you mean by this... that I'm using my own words as
}opposed to translating someone else's?

I simply mean that you are giving that portion of the Klingon language that
is "yours" a good workout.  You attempted work of an appropriate difficulty:
that is not so easy that you got it all right, but not so difficult you got
wrapped up in tight knots.

}choqaDchu'ta'. qatlho'neS. HIqaDqa'!

toH. venglIj qun yIDel.  qatlh cherlu' veng?  ghorgh?  chay' toy' nganpu'
tIQ?  maHvaD Dajbogh wanI'mey puS tIDel.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level