tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 04 00:46:42 1998

Re: qapla'

At 22:53 98-02-02 -0800, k'lana wrote:
}nuq neH!
}	Well, the subscription message asked me for an intro, so here it
}is.  I just really got into tlhIngan-Hol after my recent sign-on to a muse
}as a Klingon character.  I have always been interested in tlhIngan-Hol,
}but, although I have gone over the conversational tape about 3 times in
}the past few yers, it always atrophies.  Now I intend to take the postal
}course to learn more (and to get my spelling right witah regard to
}upper/lower case), and on finding this list I decided it'd be a good idea
}to keep connections with other speakers of the language.  I really don't
}know much of the language at present, so you probably won't hear much out
}of me until I've had a bit more work with the language.  On the muse, I go
}by K'lana.

Welcome to the list.  Latent interest in tlhIngan Hol can definitely take a
while to emerge.  I owned a Klingon Dictionary for eight years and knew
about the KLI for at least five years before I joined the KLI and started to
memorize the dictionary.

The capital letters really are important.  Words look pretty strange with
the letters in the wrong case, and there is are two letters, q and Q that
are indistinguishable if the are the wrong case.  {Qup} means "young" and
{qup} means "elder," for example.  When I started out I wa thinking of
writing a Klingon keyboard map that automatically changed x to tlh, k to q,
q to Q, g to gh and so on.  I got used to the system before I bothered to
write a new one, though.

The postal course is good.  The Klingon Dictionary is essential.

Three points of spelling:

Qapla' - upper case Q in "success"
nuqneH - one word for "whatdoyouwant?" a form of Klingon greeting.
tlhIngan Hol - no hyphen.  The hyphen is just a placeholder in the name of
this listserver, not a part of the language.

There are a few good speakers of Klingon on TrekMUSE.  I remember once
testing out a cloaking device problem with T'rkal, speaking purely in
Klingon over ship-to-ship comms.  It proved a very economical language.
Even counting the shift key it needed far fewer keystrokes to say the same
thing.  Fun to use Klingon in the context for which we have the most vocabulary.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level