tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 04 00:46:40 1998

Re: QonoS ra'wI' QIv baroS

At 09:45 98-02-03 -0800, Lt. Cdr. Barrows wrote:

}>} jabbI'ID rInmoH *BJ*, 'ej vIcheghmoH.
}>  You could say here {De' lI'chu' *BJ*} or another verbal construction
}indicating >complete sending, rather than using a noun to describe an action.
}I was trying to indicate a downloading of information from the computer, and
}in my first re-write I've changed this to <De' Hev rInmoH *BJ*>, "BJ finished
}receiving the data".

If a verb is the object of another verb other than {neH} the pronoun {'e'}
must be used to indicate the object sentence.  The usage {Hev rIntaH} is a
special case, meaning "he had received the information once and for all}.
It doesn't extend to using {rInmoH} in this way.

{Hev 'e' rInmoH} would mean "he caused him to finish receiving the information."
{Hevchu'ta'DI' vIcheghmoH} takes better advantage of Klingon's strengths.
"When he had completely received it I brought him back."

}I'll be sure to give the English next time. Thanks ever so much for your
}critique of my little log-thing.

Yeah, those little things can change the meaning.  Even in English a slight
typo or missed little word messes you up.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level