tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 03 19:40:23 1998

Re: Locatives and {-bogh} (was Re: KLBC Poetry)

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Ruehlaender <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Tuesday, February 03, 1998 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: Locatives and {-bogh} (was Re: KLBC Poetry)

>?{qachDaq Sopbogh HoD'e' puq vIlegh}
>(it's the captain who ate in the restaurant)
>
>{qachDaq Sopbogh HoD puq'e' vIlegh}
>(it's the child who ate in the restaurant
>
>or is the first one forbidden, because {-'e'}, being a type
>5 noun suffix (or whatever), cannot appear "inside" a noun-
>noun construction and the relative clause as a whole functions
>as the N1 in N1-N2?

Everybody: {Qe'} is "restaurant."  {qach} is "building."

Yeah, you can't do it that way.  If it were the child who ate in the
restaurant, the sentence would be

HoD Qe'Daq Sopbogh puq vIlegh

assuming that you can put a locative on a relative clause.  This is
enormously icky and would probably be misunderstood.  At this point, I'd
reword it.

HoD puq vIlegh.  Qe'Daq Sop puq.

SuStel
Stardate 98094.1