tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 04 00:46:31 1998

Re: Locatives and {-bogh} (was Re: KLBC Poetry)

At 20:12 98-02-02 -0800, SuStel wrote:

}Besides, {qachDaq tIn} ISN'T hard to understand by any means.

qachDaq tIn nuq? :)

Hard and easy to understand are determined by what we have learned already.
Lots of people on this list, and almost everyone in the world who isn't, find:

{yaSpu'vaD yIH vInobqang}

very damn difficult to understand.

I read {qachDaq tIn} and immediately start looknig for the subject of {tIn}.

}It just
}happens to be wrong, but not because it MUST be.  Okrand decreed that {-Daq}
}migrates, and so it does.  He might even have been thinking in terms of
}postpositions, but there is a good deal of difference between adjectivally
}acting verbs and relative clauses.
}
}Until Okrand makes a new decree one way or the other, I see no reason to
}alter known rules and examples in favor of HUMAN language patterns.

Mark's arguments about stacks hold a lot of weight for me.  I don't think
that's just human.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level