tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 02 10:38:53 1998

Re: Quality and Aspect Was: Re: KLBC Poetry

charghwI'vo':

Good citations, peHruS.

On Sun, 1 Feb 1998 02:29:03 -0800 (PST) [email protected] wrote:

> In a message dated 98-01-31 22:32:05 EST, Qov discusses:
>
> << }Example: if I say <jIroppu'> what does it mean? "I am not sick" is
>  }<jIropbe'>. "I was sick" is something like <wa'Hu' jIrop>. I think, if it
>  }means anything, it means "My being sick is completed." Thus, I am well. maj.
>
>  I had been sick/I have been sick/I will have been sick.
>   >>

> ----peHruS adds----
> TKW 13 reveals {maHemtaH}, which indicates {Hem}, a stative verb, may take a
> type 7 verb suffix.

Yes, and shows us how it would be translated.

> TKW 34 adds {tay'taHbe....}, in which {tay'} is a stative verb.

This shows the newly controversial {-taHbe'}, not as I have
expected (and still expect) as "sporadically", but as a note
that the continuation does not succeed. It focusses on the loss
of continuity. In other words, blood and water can be mixed, but
they will not remain mixed, similar to my example about the
computer which will definitely boot up, but will not remain
functional because it locks up and needs rebooting.

By Krankor's suggestion, {tay'taHbe'} and {tay'} should be
synonymous because the negation of continuity and absence of
notation for continuity should be the same. Clearly, that is not
what is meant here.

> TKW 71 adds {batlh bIHeghjaj}, using Hegh with -jaj.
> And, for proof that a stative verb may take -pu', try TKW 72.

Well, not quite. {Hegh} means "die", not "be dead". These are
different. That's why {Heghpu'} makes sense. One who has died is
no longer dying, so {Heghpu'} makes total sense. If it really
meant, "be dead", then {Heghpu'} would mean they had been dead,
but now were in some other condition (reincarnated, perhaps?).

> pItlh (even though I can quote more references)    peHruS

charghwI'

Back to archive top level