tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 01 16:00:41 1998

Re: jIloS.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Sunday, February 01, 1998 3:23 AM
Subject: Re: jIloS.

>In a message dated 98-01-29 17:55:05 EST, charghwI' writes:
>
><< jIvIHmo' QoQ vImuv. QoQ vImuvmeH jIvIH. >>
>
>---peHruS challenges the word {muv}----
>DuSaQ vImuvlaH
>mangghom vImuvlaH
>QoQghom vImuvlaH
>qaq qechmeyvam 'e' vIHar
>
>But, I don't know how to express accurately that the music and the body
join
>together.

I think charghwI''s sentence is a reasonable metaphor, considering what we
know of Klingon music.

Another might be

QoQ muchlu'taHvIS, wa' Dol wImoj jIH QoQ je.
When there's music playing, the music and I become one.

>Perhaps, tay'chuq QoQ jIH je works better.

That would be {matay'}, not {tay'chuq}.  {tay'chuq} is "be together each
other," which makes no sense.

>Also, there's {qat}.  jImI'DI' muqat QoQ.

I like that, except it literally means, "As soon as I dance (move about),
the music wraps me."  {qat} is not "wrap around."  To use this metaphor, I'd
word it thus:

jImI'taHvIS jIHDaq QoQ qatlu'.
While I dance (move about), music is wrapped around me.

I don't know if {jIHvaD} would be preferrable to {jIHDaq}.  I like {jIHDaq}
in that wrapping is occurring at the location of me.

>I don't think I'd use SIgh (TKW 170) here, even though the music does
>definitely influence how I dance.

jImI'taHvIS muSIghtaH QoQ.
While I'm dancing, the music influences me.

It works, but is not as evocative.  It is literal only.

SuStel
Stardate 98088.8

Back to archive top level