tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 21 17:42:31 1998

RE: Romulan

Welcome. If you're interested in the Klingon language, you've come to the
right place. My name is pagh, and I am the current Beginners' Grammarian for
the list. Whenever you have a post you want help with, mark it for my
attention by putting KLBC in the subject line.

lab Aidoann t'Rhellaihn:

> Hello, I hope not to intrude, but I am a Romulan who is
> interested in learining the Klingon language. Are there
> any set grammatical rules in the language?

The Klingon language is a well developed language with its own grammar and
vocabulary. It's complete enough that two fairly skilled speakers can hold a
long conversation on a wide variety of subjects without resorting to English
for anything other than names or exotic, technical, or culturally specific
nouns like "carbeurator" or "popsicle". The grammar is very different from
most Terran languages, but is fairly simple. It's also very regular, with
very few exceptions to the rules. The vocabulary that we know of today is
between two and three thousand words, and continues to expand slowly as we
learn new words.

Everything we know about the language comes from Marc Okrand, the
professional linguist who created/recorded the language (depending on your
perspective). He is the author of The Klingon Dictionary, which documents
most of the grammar and vocabulary, as well as several other works which
supplement the Dictionary.

If you are interested, go get yourself a copy of the Dictionary and read
through the grammar section a few times. Visit the Klingon Language
Institute's web site (http://www.kli.org) for all sorts of information, and
be sure to join the KLI. Send some posts in Klingon to the list for
practice, and try to read some of the other Klingon posts (start with the
shorter ones).

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level