tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 21 20:59:05 1998

RE: Romulan

pagh,

 thanks, I had no idea that the Klingon language  had so many words, (not suprised though, the Romulan language has about 2000 and not nearly as old as the Klingon) I will visit the webpage. Thanks again

Aidoann t'Rhellaihn

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 18:01:59 -0800 (PST) "Andeen, Eric" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Welcome. If you're interested in the Klingon language, you've come to the
>right place. My name is pagh, and I am the current Beginners' Grammarian for
>the list. Whenever you have a post you want help with, mark it for my
>attention by putting KLBC in the subject line.
>
>lab Aidoann t'Rhellaihn:
>
>> Hello, I hope not to intrude, but I am a Romulan who is
>> interested in learining the Klingon language. Are there
>> any set grammatical rules in the language?
>
>The Klingon language is a well developed language with its own grammar and
>vocabulary. It's complete enough that two fairly skilled speakers can hold a
>long conversation on a wide variety of subjects without resorting to English
>for anything other than names or exotic, technical, or culturally specific
>nouns like "carbeurator" or "popsicle". The grammar is very different from
>most Terran languages, but is fairly simple. It's also very regular, with
>very few exceptions to the rules. The vocabulary that we know of today is
>between two and three thousand words, and continues to expand slowly as we
>learn new words.
>
>Everything we know about the language comes from Marc Okrand, the
>professional linguist who created/recorded the language (depending on your
>perspective). He is the author of The Klingon Dictionary, which documents
>most of the grammar and vocabulary, as well as several other works which
>supplement the Dictionary.
>
>If you are interested, go get yourself a copy of the Dictionary and read
>through the grammar section a few times. Visit the Klingon Language
>Institute's web site (http://www.kli.org) for all sorts of information, and
>be sure to join the KLI. Send some posts in Klingon to the list for
>practice, and try to read some of the other Klingon posts (start with the
>shorter ones).
>

>pagh
>Beginners' Grammarian

Disinformation: everything you know is wrong! http://www.disinfo.com