tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 21 18:03:48 1998

RE: My old neighbor

lab Patrick Masterson:

> qan/Qup = age
> ngo'/chu' = other stuff

> Let's say I wish to refer to someone as my old neighbor,
> referring to the fact that he's been my neighbor for a
> long time. Could I refer to him as a jIl ngo'? I think
> yes, (but I could be wrong) because qan (old, as in not
> young), refers to age, but the "old" in "old neighbor"
> doesn't refer to his age, so I'd use ngo'.

That's a good question. I think so, but I'm not absolutely certain. I don't
have any problem with <jIl chu'> for "new neighbor", so there should not be
a problem with <jIl ngo'> for "old neighbor". Most likely the difficulty for
most of us is that the English words are the same, not that the Klingon
words are different.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level