tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 16 19:10:45 1998

RE: KLBC:taghwI'

Welcome to the list, Doug. You seem to know your way around, so I will save
you the standard BG spiel.

lab Doug:

> *Doug* 'oh pongwIj'e'.

Don't forget to capitalize those <H>'s.

> tlhIngan pong vIwIvbe'.
> tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom vIje'be',

I think this is a good place for <wej>. You intend to choose a name and buy
a dictionary, but you haven't done it yet.

> 'a *Christmas* tetlh vIghItlhta'. {{:-)

qaSDI' *Christmas* bIDo'jaj!

> cha' wotmey ghaj *sentances* ngeDbe'.

bIlughlaw'. You didn't get this one quite right. You really can't have a
sentence with two *main* verbs - the extras have to be in clauses or acting
like adjectives. That makes things easier.

The word for "sentence" is <mu'tlhegh>, and I will replace <ngeDbe'> with
<Qatlh> - "difficult".

Your sentence is "Sentences which have two verbs are difficult." The subject
is "Sentences which have two verbs". This is a perfect place for a <-bogh>
clause: <cha' wotmey ghajbogh mu'tlheghmey>. If you want to make sure
everyone knows you are talking about sentences which have to verbs, and not
the verbs had by the sentences, add the suffix <-'e'> to the "head noun" of
the clause. The rest of the sentence is simple - the verb is <Qatlh>, and
the subject is the clause we just came up with.

Qatlh cha' wotmey ghajbogh mu'tlheghmey'e'.

> Qagh'a' DaSam?

You also need to put the interrogative suffix <-'a'> on <Sam>. It's spelled
the same as the noun suffix, but has a completely different meaning.

> My name is Doug.  I haven't picked a Klingon name yet.
> I haven't bought the Klingon Dictionary, but I wrote it on my
> Christmas list.
> :-)
> Sentances that have two verbs are not easy.
> Do you see any big mistakes?
>
> A few general questions for this group:
> How do I convey the meaning "2 or more"?

Just use a plural. <pu'mey> - "phasers" (more than one).

> How about "many" as a number, rather than a verb?

Why?

> How do say that you haven't done something...yet, but you will?

wej Qu' vIta', 'ach vIta'bej.

> Thanks guys, choQaHneS!

If you're addressing the whole group, you need a different prefix:
<tuQaHneS>.

Good first message. Keep it up :-)

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian