tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 16 09:47:19 1998

Re: ST VI

Quvar muHwI':
> When those two men entered the Kronos 1, after having shot at the ship to
> deactivate the gravitation fields, they shot most of the klingons. One of
> them shoutet something like french "pourquoi", or in klingon phonetics
> {*puqwa'*} (that's the unarmed...eh...the one that has his arm shot off)
> What does he say?

charghwI':
: I think you have misheard {Qu'vatlh!}

Oh, that's *much* better than what I had in my transcript:

Korrd:  <numagh!>                              (???)
        [They've betrayed us!          (untranslated)]
 ["We're hit!"                  (novelization)]

???:  <Qu' Qaw'!>                             (???)
 [He's destroying the mission!   (untranslated)]

You know, I didn't even think to listen for profanity; it was a G-rated movie
after all.  That's why they used lavender blood for the Klingons, to avoid a
PG-13 rating for violence.  (I guess in Hollywood it's not considered violence
if you don't see any red [human] blood!)

Though I rather like the idea of a French-speaking Klingon on a diplomatic
mission, n'est-ce pas?

Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level