tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 15 19:02:50 1998

Re: KLBC: pIqaD question, and thanks to all

>...this is NOT the font or the system used by Michael
>Okuda and his team of graphic artists at Paramount.  He has never committed
>pinning down just how pIqaD works so as to give him an artist's leeway to
>arrange the letters esthetically on displays, without having to worry about
>linguistic accuracy.  We don't even know whether it is an alphabet (like
the
>KLI system), a syllabary, a collection of ideograms (like Chinese) or a
>mixture of these (like Japanese or ancient Egyption).

Do any linguistically-oriented subscribers have examples of a
_non_-alphabetic writing system but with a relatively _small_ number of
characters (unlike Chinese)?  It was once mentioned here, some time after
the announcement from MO that pIqaD was not alphabetic, that nobody has
ventured a conjuectural system of how this might work.  paghvo' jISovbe'
jIH!

Dubejbej loDnI''a'
qoror

Back to archive top level