tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 15 18:41:20 1998

RE: KLBC: pIqaD question, and thanks to all

lab Erik ta'HoS:

> Thank you to all the excellent advice and information that I've
> received re: my original post on naming, which is linked to my
> project of translating business cards for some people in my
> company to Klingon. The text FAQ is very useful. The numerous
> polite, helpful reponses I received initially surprised me,
> coming from a group of Klingon-type folks! This group is truly
> honerable.

juquvmoH.

> The responses I got regarding picking a name all mentioned ('cept
> one from a usenet newsgroup) that the name cannot begin with a vowel,
> and many suggested using '. Also, there were some that suggested to
> just transliterate the name, others said do whatever pleases. I think
> I have decided to pick a name based on my name's meaning. Erik means
> "Kingly Power" and I hope that I am not being overly presumptuous by
> tuning that into ta'HoS. I believe that in the Klingon culture such
> a name may get me in trouble.

Does it really mean that? I'll have to keep that in mind...

And don't worry overmuch about the "Kingly Power" overtones in your name. It
has a good sound, and if you stick around for a while, people will just
associate your name with *you*, and not with any of the possible meanings
you chose to create it.

> My next question pertains to the pIqaD font that I have downloaded.
> I can't remember where I got it, but bascially, the capital letters
> look like those found at www.kli.org/kli/pics/piqdemo.gif. I want to
> make sure that as I translate, I am getting the case of the lettering
> correct. I need some assurance that the lettering in that gif is the
> capital letters for pIqaD, and that I should be using lowercase
> accordingly. Alas, I have no character map for the lowercase pIaqD
> characters, so I can't be entirely sure that what I'm looking at is
> correct. I have not been able to find one on the www, either.

I suspect the font you got hold of has the pIqaD we know about mapped to the
upper case characters, and some other system mapped to the lower case. If
the upper and lower case characters bear no relation to each other and look
like they have a completely different style, that's what you have. If the
upper case characters map to the pIqaD you saw in the GIF on the KLI site,
use them exclusively.

Voragh has already written a long bit on what we know (very little) about
the "real" pIqaD, the pseudo pIqaD system the KLI uses, the romanization
system, and capitalization, so I won't repeat that here.

I recommend getting the font disk from the KLI. Lawrence has done a
wonderful job with his font mangling tools, so it looks quite nice, even at
large sizes. And while you're ordering, be sure to join the KLI.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level