tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 14 09:06:33 1998

FAQ question and proper names

My recent investigation into Klingon was precipitated by a project to
translate our company business cards into Klingon for a few employees who
chose that as their "alternate" language on the back of their cards. I will
be having this done in pIqaD, which should be interesting! As a result, I
have subscribed to this list, as well as browsing several pages such as
KLI's page and others. I have obtained Okrand's dictionary and am reading
it through a few times. I know that I will receive excellent information
from this list, and hope that my posts are appropriate and interesting.

The list server autoreponse mentioned a FAQ can be located at
http://www.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm however this page has been
moved, and the new site listed does not seem to exist. My question is: does
this FAQ exist in another location? I would like to read it through before
posting any more questions.

Also, I posted a question about proper nouns (names) to a Klingon
newsgroup, and was kindly answered by Kronos (thanks) that common names,
such as Erik, be translated literally into Klingon (eriQ'). I am also
noticing other's Klingon names, and that they seem to actually "mean"
something. Is there a process that is followed to develop a Klingon name,
or are most of them really just phonic (if that's the right word)
translations of the spelling.

Regards,

eriQ' (maybe)

P.S. If you are interested in my project of business card translation, let
me know and I'll post the background behind this project and what I'm doing
to accomplish it.

Back to archive top level