tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 11 12:08:26 1998

Re: Klingon on Frasier (tv show)

Qov wrote:

: A co-worker tells me that there was a character on the American
: television program Frasier who was working on a lifetime project to
: compile a Klingon dictionary, and whom Frasier repeatedly chased out
: of the room with some two or three syllable "Klingon" utterance.
: Anyone see this?

I did, last night.

The character, Noel Shemsky, is a sort of dweebish, balding fellow who
works in
the station where radio psychiatrist Frasier Crane has recently regained his
job.  Shemsy has been portrayed as a stereotypical "Trekkie" in several
episodes, so this is just another stroke to his pathetic comic portrait.

In welcoming Crane back, Shemsky tells him that he's still living with his
mother and still working on his Klingon to English dictionary.  Frasier cuts
him off, asking pointedly, "How do you say 'good-bye' in Klingon?"  Shemsky,
oblivious, launches into what appears to be the beginning of a *very* detailed
explanation.  He says that there are several ways, actually: for example, if
you're speaking to a superior...  At this point Frasier expels him from the
studio without further ado and Shemsky hurriedly mumbles "Krish-krush!" as the
door closes in his face.

Obviously one of the writers knew of the existance of The Klingon Dictionary,
but hasn't looked into it.  Either that or s/he didn't want admit
publically to
also being a Trekker by having Shemsky say the predictable {Qapla'}.

 Voragh
 Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

(Who's updating his own Klingon to English dictionary with all the new words
from Marc Okrand.  Oh well, at least I still have my hair and don't live with
my mother!)

Back to archive top level