tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 08 12:21:13 1998

Re: Fw: walls

ja' charghwI':
> >   cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu'
> >   2 Full Decks and a Half Utility Deck unter the Cargo Deck
>
> Is that really canon? No typos here? If so, this last sentence
> is very... interesting.

...analysis snipped...

> Looking at the English translation, I see "under the cargo
> deck", so I can now absorb {tep choQ bIngDaq}. But what is {lo'
> law'} doing? {tu'lu'} is already the main verb for that clause,
> so {lo'} must be a noun phrase meaning "many uses". Meanwhile,
> what is that noun phrase doing? It doesn't appear in the English
> translation. It is not the direct object of {tu'lu'}. "There is
> a half deck of many uses"? Eeeeeeewwwwww!

that's what I guess it's supposed to mean.
the English says "Utility deck"
I guess the Klingon for that must be {lo' law' choQ}

is there previous canon for an adjectival verb with
the first noun in a N-N phrase?

the placement of {bID} is interesting
should we say {qama' cha' raQ} for "two prisoner camps"?
I didn't think so...

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]