tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 08 10:03:14 1998

Re: KLBC: Take me to your leader!

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998 17:22:45 -0800 (PST) Eduardo Fonseca
<[email protected]> wrote:

>     Ops .. just a minor correction: DevwI'lI'Daq HIDev

I just want to point something out here which may be a point of
misunderstanding for a lot of people. Trust me that I'm probably
right on this and wait for the next HolQeD for details as to why.

This implies that the action of your leading me is occurring at
your leader. It does not imply, as you likely intend, that the
leading happens somewhere else until we arrive at your leader.

For your intent, I'd recommend something like:

DevwI'lI' HIqIHmoH.

For those who don't like that particular variation on indirect
object shortcuts:

jIHvaD DewI'lI' yIqIHmoH.

Aside from the prepositional confusion of your version,
"leading" for a Klingon likely implies more than just walking in
front of someone to help them find something. I don't want you
to lead me. I want you to cause me to meet your leader for the
first time.

> Edy

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level