tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 06 00:52:56 1998

Seven of Nine

ghItlhlIj Quvar muHwI':
>> This might sound rather Borgish but why not "(number) of
>> (number)"?Is there an "of" in Hol?"Seven of Nine" perhaps?

ja' voragh:
> There is no word "of" on its own, usually verbs/nouns contain
> themeaning of "of", or it's translated in a completely different
> way.
> In Klingon this genitive would have to be {Hut Soch} "the
> nine's seven", which cannot be distinguished from the simple
> two digit sequence "nineseven".
> Alternatively you could say {Hut SochDIch} "the nine's
> seventh,seventh of the nine" -- but this isn't much better.

That actually seems like it might be easier to understand, although it
makes less sense gramatically.

On the show now, she is called "Seven".
Do we translate that, then, as "Soch" (literally) or "SochDIch"?

==
I maybe wrong, but I'm always Qor'etlh.
Very Amateur Klingonist {toH jIDoH {{:-)}
qepHom Victim for the Klingon Language Institute.
{qo'mey poSmoH Hol} -- language opens worlds -- /
{nuq, vISaH?} - What, me worry? -
{Qapla'!}