tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 02 08:35:27 1998

Re: KLBC (was:Re: BATLH TLHINGAN HOL VIJATL

: ja' [email protected]:
: >You brought up an interesting question...if chegh is used solely to
refer to
: >returning "to a place", how *would* one  refer to returning a salute, or a
: >phone call, or something similar?
:
: Why is the word "return" important?  chovan; qavan.  chorI'; qarI'.  nap.
:
: >I suppose one could say that a salute was given, and that this
: >was the reason I saluted...but it seems rather ...bulky.
:
: chovanmo' qavan.  *I* don't see this as particularly bulky.  Klingon is
: very good at conveying lots of information by adding short syllables.
:
: -- ghunchu'wI'

Even more concise:  {mavanchuq}.  {-chuq} does not imply simultaneity, only
reciprocity.

However, keep in mind that Klingon saluting etiquette is not be the same as
the
Terran.  We've seen Klingons salute superior officers several times and in
different ways, from TOS through DS9, but I don't recall seeing the superior
ever return the salute.  Nod or grunt in acknowledgement yes, but they've
never
saluted the inferior back.  Klingons are a more rank-conscious aristocratic
society and seniors may just expect it as their due, like being addressed as
{joH} or {qaH}.

Also, the homophonous noun {van} not only means a "salute", but also "tribute"
- which only flows in one direction: up.  In addition:

  A {van bom}, literally "salute song" or "tribute song", is something
  like a hymn or anthem (indeed, hymn and anthem are common translations
  of {van bom}) in that it is sung at occasions where it is appropriate
  to express one's feelings of loyalty and dedication to someone or
  something. Most typically, a {van bom} praises the Klingon Empire
  itself, often invoking its founder, Kahless." (KGT p.77)

N.B.: to express one's feelings of loyalty, dedication, and praise - *not*
mutual courtesy, as is the Terran custom (at least in the U.S. military, in
which I served for five years as a Navy officer).  And finally, remember the
proverb:

  Hovmey Davan
  You salute the stars. TKW

The naked stars do not salute you back, though they may remember.

Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level