tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 25 19:34:26 1998

Re: KLBC - Ha'DIbaH pub loDHom

And, don't forget in TKW p32:

tujpa' qul pub SuvwI' 'Iw. "A warrior's blood boils before the
fire is hot."

The warrior's blood is boiling here. It is not boiling something
else.

Gee, did I get this in before voragh beat me to it?

charghwI'

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 22:53:22 -0700 (PDT) Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ja' Qov:
> >---"Michael H. Clawson (toQ pach puqloD)" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Ha'DIbaH pub loDHom
> >> The boy boiled the meat.
> >
> >I unintentionally gave you what might be a slight unknown.  /pub/
> >could mean boil, intransitive as in *get* to a certain temperature, or
> >it could mean it transitively as in 'make boil.'  If the former you'd
> >have to use /pubmoH/ instead of /pub/.  Don't worry about it for now.
> >The sentence order is good.
>
> One of the foodstuffs mentioned on an audiotape is {pubtaHbogh ghargh HIq}
> "boiling wormwine".  {pub} "boil" here apparently describes something which
> is boiling, not someone or something which brings something to a boil.  In
> the sentence above, I think {pubmoH} is the right word.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

charghwI'

Back to archive top level