tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 17 20:39:11 1998

Re: DuSaQqoqvetlh vIpar

[email protected] wrote:

> In a message dated 8/17/98 11:19:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [email protected] writes:

Actually someone else wrote it.  I responded to it.

> > DuSaQ muvta' loDnI'wI' je.
>
> How do you differentiate between "DuSaQ" (n) meaning "school" and
"DuSaQ"(v)
> meaning 'he cries for you" ? After reading the sentence, translating
it, and
> reading the translation, I figured out what was meant, but how do
you tell
> which is which?

Just the way you distinguish between "unionized" meaning "not ionized"
and "unionized" meaning "having formed a union" in English(1).
Context: the words around it.  /DuSaQ/ the verb would be in a
different position in the sentence from the noun.  When you get used
to the structure of Klingon sentences you will rarely mishear or
misread nouns for identically spelled verbs.  Klingon word error is
too rigid.

> Also what does wI'ghojpu' mean? I don't see it in my pojwl' for
windows screen
> (it is listed as "not found")

It was an error by the person who wrote it.  He meant /wIghojpu'/ "we
have learned."  pojwI' is not clever enough to recognize that error,
but you are, if you learn the verb prefixes. ;)

It's a good idea to read the follow-ups to KLBC -- or any -- postings,
if you are analyzing the grammar.  You don't want to learn mistakes.

1. No, this is not a forced example.  I misread "unionized" almost
every time I see it, even in news stories on organized labour.
==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian