tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 17 20:32:54 1998

Verbs of Saying

-------Voragh wrote:

>Ahem... allow me:
>
>"Similarly, with verbs of saying (say, tell, ask, etc.), {'e'} and
>{net} are not used. The two phrases simply follow one another, in
>either order: {qaja'pu' HIqaghQo'} or {HIqaghQo' qaja'pu'} 'I told
you >not to interrupt me'. This is literally, 'I told you, "Don't
interrupt >me!"' or '"Don't interrupt me!" I told you.' ... An aspect
marker >(here, {-pu'} perfective) may always be attached to the verb
of saying, >regardless of whether it is the first or second verb."
(TKD p.67)

>And from Okrand's extended post on {jatlh} on the Expert Forum BBS
>(6/97):
>
>"The object of {jatlh} 'speak' is that which is spoken. Thus, it's OK
>to say 'speak a language', for example {tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh} 'you
>speak Klingon'. But it's also OK to say 'speak an address, speak a
>lecture', for example {SoQ Dajatlh} 'you speak an address' or, more
>colloquially, 'you deliver an address' or 'you make a speech'. To say
>simply {jatlh} 'he/she speaks' implies 'he/she speaks it', where 'it'
>is a language or a lecture or whatever. The indirect object of
{jatlh}, >when expressed, is the hearer/listener. Thus {qama'pu'vaD
tlhIngan Hol >Dajatlh} 'you speak Klingon to the prisoners',
{qama'pu'vaD SoQ >Dajatlh} 'you make a speech to the prisoners'. When
the indirect object >(in this case, the hearer) is first or second
person, the pronominal >prefix which normally indicates first or
second person object may be >used. ... There's another wrinkle to
this. The verb {jatlh} can also be >used when giving direct
quotations: {tlhIngan jIH  jatlh} 'he/she says, >"I am a Klingon",'
{jatlh tlhIngan jIH} 'he/she says, "I am a >Klingon".' (With verbs of
saying, such as {jatlh}, the phrase that is >being said or cited may
come before or after the verb.) If the speaker >is first or second
person, the pronominal prefix indicating 'no object' >is used:
{tlhIngan jIH jIjatlh} 'I say, "I am a Klingon",' {tlhIngan >jIH
bIjatlh} 'you say, "I am a Klingon".' There are instances where the
>pronominal prefix marks a big distinction in meaning: {tlhIngan Hol
>Dajatlh} 'you speak Klingon' [vs.] {tlhIngan Hol bIjatlh} 'you say,
>"Klingon language"' [that is you say the phrase 'Klingon language']."
>
>Voragh
>------------------------------

After reading the above I couldn't help thinking about {pong (v)} again.

It is repeatedly said that we don't know how the verb is used as we
haven't been given any cannon examples. I'm sorry for bringing it up
again but I thought, why isn't pong considered to be a verb of saying?

If it were treated as such then we do have cannon examples as referred
to {jatlh} etc.  In other words the following sentences might
translate as:

I call my pet 'lunch'  -     {SajDaj  vIpong  .  megh}
                      or  {megh  .  SajDaj  vIpong}

The crew call the ship 'garbage scow'  -
{Duj  lupong  beqpu'  .  veQDuj }  .

 Kahless called his new weapon 'the sword of honour'  -
{nuH chu'Daj  pongpu'  qeylIS'e'  .  batlh  'etlh }  .

I am called qe'San (some call me qe'San) -
{vIponglu'  .  qe'San }  ????.

mu'mey peng  DabaHjaj

qe'San