tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 03 19:31:10 1998

Re: KLBC - buv vagh DIp mojaqmey vImuSqu'chu'qu'.

Robyn Stewart wrote:

> Someone recently mentioned to me what a brutal experience it was
> having his first KLBC post dissected by me, so now I'm edgy about
> scaring away people I've never even met.  How to reassure anyone?

Hmmmmmmmm.  I'll never forget how I felt after having my first
Spanish quiz handed back to me.  I had thought I was well
prepared for it, but only got a 65%.  Thank goodness the prof
let us drop our two lowest quiz grades.  The only thing that
will make that any easier is developing a tough hide.

I'm guessing that the newbie with the fear of Qov's red
pen is (or was) new to studying languages.  Those  of us
who have already studied one or two know better than to
expect perfection the first few tries (or months).

At Ohio University they have done studies which indicate
that people who study a language begin to do better in
_all_ the rest of their classes soon after their language
studies begin.  This is because no other type of class
will demand quite the same intensity of concentration and
commitment.  And you can't forget any of it!  Every new
thing learned builds on the last and requires that you
keep not only the new stuff straight but all the old too.
Now that's _really_ a comprehensive exam.

I guess the whole point to these ramblings is that one
does not just learn a new language.  A whole new set of
mental skills and processes must develop along with it.
Memory training is the most critical of these.  The new
words and grammatical constructions must be stored in
such a way that it is not forgotten and yet easily
retrieved for use.  You've already done it once as a
child.  You probably don't remember the process but it
does prove that the skills are there and that you can do
it.

Sorry that I can't answer your question Qov.  I find the
whole process of language aquisition to be so facinating
that I have re-enrolled at OU.  I will be studying
linguistics on a half-time basis beginning this fall.
Wish me luck.

lung

Back to archive top level