tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 30 18:45:27 1998

Hech (was SaqaD)

From: Qov <[email protected]>

>At 14:27 98-04-28 -0700, HomDoq wrote:
>}
>}<<Soj pa'>> DaHech'a'?
>
>vIHech. jIreHmo' jIqImbe'.

This is going to drive me mad if I continue to see it over and over again,
as I have been.

{Hech} is defined as "intend, mean to."  It has always been seen with {'e'}
as its object.  This definition and set of examples shows that it should not
be used for "I meant [some word]," but rather "I meant to do [action]."

To say what you're saying, it'd have to be phrased as

<Soj pa'> bIjatlh 'e' DaHech'a'?
Did you inted to say {Soj pa'}?

You *might* also say

bIjatlh <Soj pa'> 'e' DaHech'a'?

but I'd rather keep the ambiguity in this sort of sentence to a minimum, and
keep the quote on the outside.

You might also find a few nouns suitable as the object of this verb.  For
instance,

tojchu'ghach vIHech.
I intend complete deception.

This sort of usage is speculative, and not supported in canon, but the noun
represents an action.

SuStel
Stardate 98329.0

Back to archive top level