tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 30 06:50:00 1998

yeesh. right. wrong. jISaHbe'! (was Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but..)

"sentience" mu' vIlo', 'ej DaH jIQoS.

}<< Sentience is not the issue. The ability
} to use langauge.>>
}
}charghwI' is outright wrong on this point.

ghobe'.  reH lugh charghwI'.

--------

Okay, okay - I started this by using the word "sentience".  I *meant* more
to reflect on my own observation that, though we may have some rules (in
English and Klingon ) regarding how we address or refer to THINGS versus
BEINGS, we do not USE those rules consistently.  And in fact we
communicate meaning or intent in how we violate the rules.

When I call our new puppy "he" rather than "it", when I speak to him, and
"interact" as if he understood, I convey my high estimation of or hopes
for his intelligence. If I were to call a group of warriors SuvwI'mey
(assuming I had a clue and a bucket to carry it in) I convey my low regard
for them.

Befitting their brusque, businesslike way of doing things, Klingons
express the demarcation thing/being in terms of language capability.  No
doubt they argue as much as we do about who lands in those categories.

   joel anderson * http://members.aol.com/JPKlingon * [email protected]
 **mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'**
     **Depart from evil, and do good; Seek peace, and pursue it**

Back to archive top level