tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 29 22:12:28 1998

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but..

At 16:30 98-04-29 -0700, peHruS wrote:
}In a message dated 98-04-28 13:52:51 EDT, charghwI' writes:
}
}<< Sentience is not the issue. The ability
} to use langauge. So, instead of wrestling with an arbitrary,
} vague line between beings that are sentient and those that are
} not, we are left to deal with the arbitrary, vague line between
} beings that are capable of using langauge and those that are
} not. >>
}
}charghwI' is outright wrong on this point.
}
}Sentiency absolutely is the demarcation; the ability to speak language is not.
}Computers, machinery and robots which speak language are neither sentient nor
}take the Klingon language type 2 noun suffix {-pu'}.  The android Data is
}sentient.  A parrot is not sentient.  A dolphin, whale, cat, etc. are ???????

peHruS!  yIqIm jay'!
p 22 TKD: "This suffix [-pu'] can be used to indicate plurality for
Klingons, Terrans, Romulans, Vulcans and so on, but not for lower animals of
any kind, plants, inanimate objects, electromagnetic or other beams or
waves, etc."
p 23 TKD: "It [-mey] can also be used with nouns referring to beings capable
of using language ..."
p 25 TKD: "When the noun possessed refers to a being capable of using
language, a special set of suffixes is used for first- and second-person
possessors."
p 51 TKD: "The pronoun {chaH} "they" is used when it refers to a group of
beings capable of using language; otherwise, {bIH} "they" is used."

Okrand repeatedly and consistently uses the phrase "beings capable of using
language" in TKD.  I'm don't believe he uses the word sentient anywhere in
the text. *You* are outright wrong, and furthermore look like an incredible
idiot or someone who has never read TKD when you declare that anything other
than the capability of using language is the criterion.  I'm sick of you
fighting to defend your bizarre grammar, but at least on this occasion you
haven't hidden your errors in an explanation too convoluted to refute.
Anyone with TKD can see that you're wrong. Get a clue and a bucket to carry
it in before you post again.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level