tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 30 05:45:07 1998

KLBC: -bogh

Hello.

I have been lurking on this list for a few years now, really enjoying
all the conversations that have been going on. But, I found something in
TKD last night, while reading it over for the millionth time, that I
strangely just now realized I don't understand. It has to do with the
Type 9 Verb Suffix {-bogh}. 6.2.3 gives an explanation of its use which
is very confusting. Two sentences are shown to illustrate the
relationship of the head noun to the relative clause:

qIppu'bogh yaS		officer who hit him/her
yaS qIppu'bogh		officer whom he/she hit

I don't understand why the second sentence doesn't mean "he/she who hit
the officer". As far as I can see here, all that changed from the first
sentence to the next, is the subject and the object. The subject went
from "officer" to "he/she" and the object went from "he/she" to
"officer". Isn't that right? Okrand says that the relative clause and
the head noun are the same in both sentences. Why? How do you know what
the head noun is? It's too bad he doesn't give any examples that use two
definite nouns. Is the head noun the same in the following two
sentences? If so which one is it?

puq qIppu'bogh yaS
yaS qIppu'bogh puq

Does the first sentence mean "officer who hit the child" or "child who
the officer hit" and likewise for the second one? I would think they are
translated, "officer who hit the child" and "child who hit the officer",
respectively, but then how on earth would you say "child who the officer
hit" and "officer who the child hit"?

I hope Qov or someone can explain this to me.

Satlho'.

ghIlqer

Back to archive top level