tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 30 13:11:06 1998

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong but..

responding to peHruS:

Your inflammatory language aside, I'm quite curious about where
Okrand expressed that his descriptions in TKD were inaccurate
and sentience is what he REALLY meant when he said that the
suffix {-pu'} was plural for being capable of using language.
You must have found a reference I have missed. Please point it
out to me. I also respectfully ask that you offer that citation
without unnecessary emotional overtones.

charghwI'

According to WestphalWz:

> In a message dated 98-04-28 13:52:51 EDT, charghwI' writes:
>
> << Sentience is not the issue. The ability
>  to use langauge. So, instead of wrestling with an arbitrary,
>  vague line between beings that are sentient and those that are
>  not, we are left to deal with the arbitrary, vague line between
>  beings that are capable of using langauge and those that are
>  not. >>
>
> charghwI' is outright wrong on this point.
>
> Sentiency absolutely is the demarcation; the ability to speak language is not.
> Computers, machinery and robots which speak language are neither sentient nor
> take the Klingon language type 2 noun suffix {-pu'}.  The android Data is
> sentient.  A parrot is not sentient.  A dolphin, whale, cat, etc. are ???????
>
> peHruS

Back to archive top level