tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 29 09:12:31 1998

Re: Much ado

: According to David Trimboli:
: >
: > Is {tuv} a verb of state or a verb of activity?  If you think you can say
: > {loD tuv} "the patient man," then you must accept that {tuv} is a verb of
: > state, and therefore you must accept that {yItuv'eghmoH} is the correct
: > command to give.  (Or, perhaps Lawrence actually meant {petuv'eghmoH}.)

AFAIK, {tuv} has only been used in STC's "Klingon Lesson", though I don't
know if Okrand supplied the examples of "conjugated" verb forms (he did
furnish them with the sound files, but not the "definitions"):

  jItuv
  I am patient.

: > Still, this rule is broken sometimes.  How about {QaghlIj tIchID; yIyoH!}
: > "Have the courage to admit your mistakes"?  Is {yoH} a verb of state or a
: > verb of activity?  Can you say {loD yoH} "brave man"?
:
: vagh tlhInganpu' yoH
:
: I'm uncertain of the number, but it was used this way when
: counting items on the audiotape Conversational Klingon.
:
: charghwI'

As one might expect for Klingons, {yoH} "be brave" is used more often in
canon than {tuv} "be patient":

  wej tlhInganpu' yoH
  three brave Klingons CK

  QaghmeylIj tIchID, yIyoH!
  Have the courage to admit your mistakes. TKW

  reH Hegh yoHwI'pu''e'
  Always it is the brave ones who die. TKW

  yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI' Say'moHchu' may' 'Iw
  The blood of battle washes clean the warrior brave and true. (Anthem)

  tlhIngan yoH HoS verengan yoH puj.
  (a slang law'/puS alternative) KGT

  jIyoH
  I am brave. (STC Klingon Lesson.  Cf. supra.)

Voragh

Back to archive top level