tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 29 07:51:49 1998

RE: Much ado

At 03:47 PM 4/28/98 -0700, pagh wrote:

>{yItaD}/{petaD} is an idiom, and the usage is described as "peculiar,
>though not really ungramatical". Here's the text about {-'eghmoH}:
>"Generally, when a verb describing a state of being is used in the
>imperative form, the suffixes {-'egh} and {-moH} are used as well". So
>SuStel was right.

Huh! Well, there you have it.  I'd totally forgotten that little
point (if I ever knew it in the first place!).

>That said, it could be argued that {tuv} is really more of an activity
>than a state, so {yItuv} or {petuv} would at least be less peculiar than
>{yItuj}, for example. It may be my English bias, but I cannot really
>object to {yItuv}, and would probably use it in conversation. For most
>other stative verbs, I would most definitely use {-'eghmoH}.

I think it's stretching the point to call {tuv} an activity; I do
think of it as a state.  Unfortunately, this means I misused {tuv}
in my {tlhoraQ puqloDpu'} story.

>As an added speculation, when using an imperative with a state, I
>sometimes use {-choH}, which sort of turns the state into an activity.
>{yIjot} (be still) is just weird to my ear, but {yIjotchoH} (become
>still) seems quite natural.

{yIjot'eghchoHmoH} ?  (I just can't think of a state as an activity,
not even _taking on_ that state!)

>As Qov noted, it should be {pe-} rather than {yI-} in any case.

bIlugh.

--ter'eS

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/2711

Back to archive top level