tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 25 19:38:50 1998

Re: vagh mu'tlheghmey KLBC

Tim Hagg jang Qov:
>}reHmeH verenganpu' tlhej ghaH.  'e' luDIl'a'?
>}Do the Ferengi pay him to play with them?
>
>We've had a long thread in the past about whether an action can be the
>object of {DIl}.  I supect it comes out sound "not quite" the way "They pay
>that he plays with them" does.  I don't think it can be assumed to be
>correct.

I don't want to start the discussion again, but I need to nit-pick Qov's
"not quite" assessment a little.

{DIl} is "pay for", so it would come out like "They pay for that he plays with
them."  To me it sounds exactly as "not quite" as "We try that we leave today"
does.  I don't think anyone would call {DaHjaj mamej 'e' wInID} controversial.

What's the object of {DIl}?  I'd expect it to be the object or service paid
for.  What is {reHmeH verenganpu' tlhej ghaH}?  I think it's a service that
can be paid for.  If one can "pay for" a service in Klingon, {...'e' DIl}
looks like a simple way to say it.  If for some reason one cannot "pay for"
a service, then I guess there'd be no need for that sort of phrasing and I'd
gladly use the {-meH} tool to express the "for" that I see included in {DIl}.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level