tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 24 14:35:46 1998

KLBC: *Duqtatlh* 'oH pongwIj'e'

jatlh Duqtatlh:

majQa', Duqtatlh.  jutu'law'taHmo' mu'tlheghmeyvam qar DachenmoHlaH,
qar'a'?  bI'ong.

Well done, Duqtatlh.  I'd say you knew how to construct
these correct sentences because you've been watching us, right?
Cunning.

> *Duqtatlh* 'oH pongwIj'e'.
> taghwI' jIH
> *England*ngan jIH

qay'be'.  No problems.

> 18 jIH

In English we can give our age by saying "I am <number>."  This isn't
particularly logical, though, it's just a habit of our language, an
idiom.  Other languages do it differently, saying for example, "I
have" the  number of years, or "to me" the number of years.  In
Klingon you state the number of complete years ago that you had
already been born.

wa'maH chorgh ben jIboghpu'.
literally: Eighteen years ago I had been born.
meaning: I am eighteen years old.

It's an idiom. You couldn't know or predict it unless you'd seen
where Marc Okrand wrote it that way.

> bIyajpu''a'

jIyaj. (But I still appreciate an accompanying translation with KLBCs
so that I don't have to make assumptions about what you mean).

In your headers I noticed this:

> Duqtatlh vI'jatlh

What do you mean it to mean?

Back to archive top level