tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 23 10:17:51 1998

Re: jItul jIH ghojlaH

At 04:59 98-04-23 -0700, Kira wrote:

}bonI'chay' tlhIngan Hol jatlhlaH?

Ouch.  Verb prefixes can only be used on verbs, and we have no permission to
construct compound words out of verbs and question words.
I assume from context you are asking "how long have you been speaking Klingon?"

That would be:

qaStaHvIS DIS 'ar tlhIngan Hol DajatlhtaH?
literally: "While how many years have occurred do you speak Klingon?"

I started studying Klingon ten years ago, but haven't studied it
continuously over that time.  I've been a member of the KLI, and a serious
student of the language, for two years this month.  Some people you see
posting credible Klingon here have been studying it less than a few months.

}DISmey 'oH'a'?

This does say "is it years" but I'm not sure that the English is translatable.

}jItul jIH ghojlaH

Because the object has to come before the verb, the sentence has to be
reversed. Never write a Klingon verb without considering what its suubject
and object must be, and using the correct prefix. And because a sentence is
the object you need to use the SAO construction with {'e'}. {jIghojlaH 'e'
vItul}  See section 6.2.5.

}jIqeqqu'niSbejtaH
"I definitely need to go on really practicing."

maj.  Only problem there is that you forgot to shift for the {I}.  You
always have to remember that.  You're getting the hang of suffixes.

}tuQaHlaH'a'?
"Can you (plural) help me?"

majQa'. Good sentence. pIQaHlaHbej.  We sure can help you. And pIQaHqang je,
we're willing to help you, too.

}Also.  How would you say somethings like thanks.  I know that in the TKD it
say }that there are none, but has anyone found a way to?

Thanks, showing approval of a small thing a person can do for you, can be
expressed with {maj}. You can also describe the benefit to you. {choQaHmo'
jIQuch.}  The verb {tlho'} with the correct prefixes (exercise for the
reader) can be used to express real thanks, but Marc OKrand has said with
witnesses including me, that {tlho'} was never intended to translate a
casual "thanks."  Just don't bother.  If you must be socially polite, use
English.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level