tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 23 10:17:55 1998

Re: KLBC....

At 04:18 98-04-23 -0700, Nathan Grange wrote:
}I'm really quite proud of these attempts, but don't hesitate to be really
}harsh...

yIHemtaH.  bIngongmo' bIghojba'.

}(I'd translate that but its getting late..)
}
}[Section 1]
}
}SaneHbej...
}I want you
}(I certainly want you)

Correct, but do you realize you're addressing multiple people?  {Sa-} must
refer to more than one person.

}SaghajnIS vISovQo'.....
}I don't know if I need you
}(I need to have you, I don't know it)

Again you are addressing two or more people, not a singel person. Two other
problems. First, the object of {Sov} is a sentence, not a noun, so you need
the SAO construction, with {'e'}.  (Section 6.2.5, read all about it, ask if
that doesn't make sense).  Second, the negation suffix you have chosen
indicates refusal rather than plain negation.  {vISovQo'} means "I will not
know!"  "I refuse to know"  Gives the idea of the person plugging his ears
and singing, to drown out the information.  To simply say that you don't
know a thing, use {-be'}.

{SaghajnIS 'e' vISovbe'}  "I don't know if I need you guys."

}'a vIghojqangqu'
}But I'm dying to find out
}( but [I'm very willing to learn it])

Grin.  majQa'.  No problems here.  Good use of suffixes. I'll let you look
up the prefix you need if you mean to address just one person, with the
other ones.

}[Section 2]
}
}tlhuHwIj  vI'uchtaH,
}
}Hold my breath as I wish for death
}(my breath, I'm holding it, death, while I really want it

You have perfectly said "I hold my breath" but I think "hold one's breath"
is an idiom in English that we can't count on translating into Klingon.
Maybe Klingons "stop breath" or "hold lungs" or "take no air."  Who knows.
To be safe, say "I stop breathing."  {jItlhuH 'e' vImev}

}Hegh vIneHqu'vIS

*Almost.*  Have another look at section 4.2.9.  "This suffix is always used
along with the type 7 suffix {-taH} continuous."

{Hegh vIneHqu'taHvIS} "as I wish for death"

majQa'.  You're learning Klingon from the inside out and learning all the
suffixes, making them work for you.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level