tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 21 13:53:09 1998

Re: KLBC: QInHom

ja' Qov:

> At 09:10 98-04-20 -0700, HovqIj wrote:
>
> }> I told myself to write something in Klingon during the vacation. Today
> }> is my last change to do so. It's definitely not interesting, just for
> }> practice.
> }>
> }> qaStaHvIS cha' Hogh jIghIQ.
>
> A continuous aspect would be appropriate on {ghIQ}.  If you don't say
> {ghIQtaH}, you imply that at some point in the two weeks, you vacationed,
> not that you were vacationing for the two weeks.
>
> }>wa'leS DuSaQvaD jIjeSnISqa'. jIghIQtaHvIS
> }> tlhIngan Hol vIHaDqu'.
>
> Again a continuous aspect could be good on {HaD}.  Depends on whether you
> studied it on an ongoing basis or not. :)

OK, my next message - whenever I'll have the time to write one - will be stuffed
with aspect grammar... I really have to work on that.

> }> vaj DaH QInHom vIqon.
>
> Why is it a {QInHom} and not a {QIn mach}?  I'm not saying it's wrong, just
> wondering what you would consider to be a {QInna'}.  Perhaps {QInHom} is for
> a message that was more than a subliminal suggestion, or a scratch in the
> dirt.  A "hint" maybe. Note that I picked this up on my second pass through
> the text.  (Yes, Qov *does* occasionally proofread!)

I just thought {QInHom} would express that my story is neither very long nor of
very interesting content nor a linguistic wonder. {QIn mach} only conveys the
first thought.

> }> mangach *Andrew* jIH je.
>
> *surpressed giggle*  reH {ngach} vIlaDHa'mo' {ngagh} vIlegh.  Dalbe'law'
> lutvam. ;-)

ghuy'cha'! *incestuous* jIHbe'bej!

> }> vavwI' be'nI' puqloD ghaH *Andrew*'e'. ja' *Andrew* ghIQlu'pu'DI', DuSaQ

> jaj }> wa'DIch qab law' Hoch DuSaQ jajmey qab
> }> puS.
>
> Good work on that comparative.
>
> }> 'ach jIQoch. choHHomna' QaQ 'oH DuSaQ jaj wa'DIch.
>
> {jaj wa'DIch'e'}.  I bet you hesitated putting an N5 on a number.  Marc
> Okrand did it in a letter to us (he said {qep'a' wejDIchDaq}).  You've got
> to put that topicalizer somewhere.

mughIjbe' mI' mu'. Do'Ha' mojaq vIlIjpu'. vIbuSchu'be'ba'pu'.

> }> juppu' ghomqa'lu'
>
> {juppu' lughomqa'lu'} plural friends, plural prefix.

Dat veqlarghmey lutu'lu'...

> }> 'ej De' chu' Qoylu'. 'ach tlha'bogh jajmey Hoghmey je vIpar. Dal DuSaQ qoj
> }> vumqu'nISlu'. toH, jIbep 'e' vImev.
>
> majQa'.  jIbepbe'bej jIH.  DubtaHvIS laHlIj qatu'taH 'e' vItIv.
>
> Qov     [email protected]
> Beginners' Grammarian

HovqIj

Back to archive top level