tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 17 17:49:53 1998

Re: veS

|ter'eS wrote:
|}> yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh janluq
|}>  pIqarD HoD.
|}> Gowron ... named leader of the High Council by Captain Jean-Luc
|}>  Picard, who was acting as Arbiter of Succession.  (SkyBox S25)
|}>
|}What is the distinction between this use of {Da} and the KGT verb {gheS},
|}I wonder?
|
|{Da} is act as, {gheS} is actually assume the position.  When I went away
|for a couple of weeks at Christmas, {BG Da charghwI'}.  When I join the
|ranks of the ex-BGs, {BG gheS vay'}.
|
|Qov     [email protected]

{Da} "behave as, act in the manner of" has been used in two other examples
in addition to SkyBox S25:

   nepwI' Daba'
   He is obviously lying. (TKD)

   HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut tengchaH.
    vaj loghDaq lenglaHtaH Humanpu'.
   space station Deep Space Nine is the gateway for the exploration,
    intrigue and enterprise that mark the continuation of the human
    adventure into space...  (SkyBox DSN 99)

{ghes} "assume the duties of, take on responsibilities" is explained in
detail in KGT p. 182ff.  Two examples in context are given:

   DaH yaS wa'DIch vIgheS.
   I now take my place as first officer.

   juDev 'ej Dujvam ra'wI' DagheS 'e' vItlhob.
   I ask you to lead us as commander of this ship.

Voragh

Back to archive top level